Rasayana is not only a drug therapy but is a procedure practiced in the form of regimens, health promoting conduct and behavior. Nutrition is applicable to all ages from pediatrics to geriatrics. Rasayana is not Geriatrics; it is the science of nutrition. The focal basis of Rasayana is appropriate and accelerated nutrition promoting the qualities of body tissues or the sara. Rasayana therapy’s priority is to extend our 'health span', giving a better quality of life to the years that we have. ‘Rasayana’ drugs act inside the human body by modulating the neuro-endocrino-immune systems, good hepato-protectives and have been found to be a rich source of antioxidants.
Mode of Action of Rasayana Drugs
- By direct enrichment of body tissues. Such recipes and herbs are added to the pool of nutrition and in turn help in the improved tissue nourishment. Eg: Sathavari, Milk, Ghee etc.
- By improving Digestion and Metabolism, such drugs promote digestion and vitalize metabolic activity. Eg: Bhallathaka
- Promote competence of micro circulatory channels in the body leading to:
- Better bio availability of nutrients to tissues.
- Improved tissue perfusion
Eg: Guggulu: The anti athero scerotic activity of guggulu is because of its hypo lipidemic action in the micro circulatory channels.
Classification of Rasayana:
- Promoter of Normal Health
Although chronic diseases are among the most common and costly of all health problems, they are also among the most preventable. The particular rasayana for each individual has to be selected in consideration of age, prakrithi, habituation, digestion, strength of dhathu, channels of circulation, season etc.
Decade of Life Loss Desirable Rasayana
1-10 Childhood Vacha, Gold
11-20 Growth Kasmari, Bala
21-30 Body glow Amalaki, Lauha
31-40 Grasping power Sankha pushpi
41-50 Luster Jyothishmathi
51-60 Vision Jyothishmathi
61-70 Reproductive tissue Aswagandha, Atmagupta
- Naimithika Rasayana (For the cure and non – re occurrence of diseases)
Traditionally, Rasayana drugs are used against diverse disorders. Over about 100 disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, hemorrhagic shock, CVS disorders, cystic fibrosis, metabolic disorders, neuro-degenerative diseases, gastrointestinal ulcers have been reported as reactive oxygen species mediated, where comes the role of Rasayana herbs with their potent antioxidant activity.
- Vata vyadhi - Guggulu
- Kusta vyadhi - Bhallataka
- Rajayakshma - Pippali
- Prameha - Shilajatu
- Kasa - Agasthya hareetaki
- Swasa - Chyavana prasha
As per Contents of Rasayana:
- Aahar rasayana or through diet.
- Aachar rasayana or through behavioral modifications.
- Aushad rasayana or through Ayurvedic medicines.