Allergy & Asthma
Life is in the breath; the respiratory system plays a vital role in delivering oxygen to the body — fuel for all the body's functions. Respiratory diseases can arise from a number of causes, including inhalation of pollutants, allergens, infections, accidents, and harmful lifestyles, such as smoking.
- Allergic Rhinitis: Our immune system mistakenly identifies a harmless substance – dust, pollen or dander - as something harmful and release chemicals. These chemicals cause runny nose, itchy eyes, congestion, and sneezing and sinus pressure.
- Bronchitis: Bronchitis is an inflammation of the lining of your air tubes, to and from your lungs. Cough, mucous, fatigue, slight fever, chest discomfort are the symptoms.
- Asthma: airways narrow; swell and produce extra mucus. Breathing becomes difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. Allergies and GERD commonly cause asthma.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: generally non-reversible condition; COPD causes the air tubes and air sacs to lose their elasticity and partially collapse. This leaves some air trapped in your lungs when you exhale. Wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, cough, mucous, blueness of lips and nails are symptoms. The main cause of COPD is smoking.
Ayurveda says, the above mentioned conditions are caused by imbalances of Prana & Udana Vata – which govern the physiology of normal breathing. Ayurvedic approach is through:
- Deepana & Pachana medicines – Carminatives & Digestives
- Anti Allergy medications – Turmeric, Adathoda vasica, Long pepper are commonly used
- Broncho-dilators – medicines like Kanakasavam, Swasanandam widen the air-tubes
- Oil application and external heat application
- Mild laxatives balance the normal downward movement of Vata. Eg: Agasthya rasayana
- Nasya - Nasal drops
- Tonics to respiratory structure & Pranayama
Pathya (Favor): light, warm and liquid diet, warm water for drinking and bath, pranayama (breathing exercise), ginger, turmeric, long pepper, black pepper, cumin seeds, fennel, coriander, cardamom.
Apathya (Reduce): cold food items, late night dinner, all types of fermented food like curd, idli, dosa, fish