Acidity, heart burn, acid belching, burping, bloating in the stomach; we've all suffered from it at some point or the other.
- Gastritis: digestive juices damage and inflame our stomach lining and results burning pain, vomiting sensation, stomach bloating. Bacteria, hurry, worry, curry are common causes.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): Stomach acid flows back into your food pipe, causing heartburn, chest pain, & difficulty in swallowing, dry cough, sour throat, acid reflux & a sensation of lump in the throat.
- Peptic Ulcer: are open sores that develop on the inside lining of food pipe, stomach and the small intestine. Burning pain, weight loss, black colored stools, vomiting are main symptoms.
- IBS - Irritable bowel syndrome: causes cramps, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, diarrhea and constipation. You may feel bowels immediately after eating and may not feel complete evacuation after toilet. Common IBS triggers are dairy products, caffeine, medications, and certain emotions.
- IBD - Inflammatory bowel disease: involves inflammation of all or part of your digestive tract. Diarrhea, abdominal pain, blood in stool, reduced appetite and weight loss symptoms should be evaluated for IBD. Immune system imbalance and hereditary factor play causative roles.
- Chronic Constipation: Inadequate water and fiber intake, lack of exercise, thyroid disease, IBS, anal fissure, certain medications can result in constipation. Favor greens, curry leaves, coriander, fenugreek, beans, brinjal, onions, raddish, butter milk and yam.
- Hemorrhoids: also called piles, are swollen and inflamed veins in anus. Straining during bowels, long time sitting, chronic diarrhea or constipation, obesity, pregnancy, low fiber diet are the causes. Regular use of small onions, yam, buttermilk, milk is very effective in the treatment of piles in early stages.
- Fistula in Ano: an infected tunnel that develops between the skins around anus with an internal opening inside the anus. Pus or blood discharge from a small opening around anus, constant pain – swelling - irritation - around anus, pus or blood discharge with stool are the signs and symptoms. Ayurvedic medicines and Kshara sutra are effective in the management of Fistula.
- Anal Fissure: is a small tear anus. An anal fissure may occur when you pass hard or large stools. Anal fissures cause pain and bleeding with bowel movements. Laxatives, medicines and procedures to heal wound and release spasm of anal muscles are the line of treatment.
Ayurveda recommends dietary and lifestyle modification and suggest to reduce fizzy drinks, late dinner, spicy, sour and oily foods, potato, pickles, coffee etc. Though most of the gastro-intestinal problems are treated with internal medications, therapies like enema, purgation, takra dhara, abhyangam are also beneficial depending on the case and cause.