Hair & Scalp Problems
- Hair fall: We have an average of 100,000 hairs on our scalp. Most hairs grow 1.25 centimeter per month for up to six years and then they fall out. About 90% of the hair on your scalp is growing at any one time and 10% at rest. After 2-3 months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow in its place. It is normal to shed some hair each day as part of this cycle. However, hormonal problems (thyroid, PCOD), nutritional deficiencies, auto immune conditions, complication to certain medications may affect the growth phase and cause abnormal hair loss.
- Dandruff: Dandruff by definition is itchy and flaky scalp. The causes of such flaky skin are: dry skin conditions, seborrheic dermatitis, Psoriasis, Eczema and sensitivity to hair care products. With psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis, the entire life cycle of skin cells takes only days instead of a month. As a result, cells build up rapidly, forming thick scales and itchy, dry, patches.
- Premature graying: Hair color is produced by tiny cells called melanocytes in the hair follicles. In the course of a lifetime, the activity of the melanocytes in each follicle retards, resulting in gray hairs. Each individual's melanocyte-clock is different. Premature graying has also been associated with thyroid disorders, vitiligo, vitamin B12 deficiency, and anemia.
- Head Lice: This itchy infestation, also called pediculosis capitis is spread by coming into contact with either lice or their eggs. The challenge of treating Lice is making sure to get rid of all the nits and avoiding contact with other lice at home or school.
- Scalp Odor: Overproduction of oil from the sebaceous glands in the scalp may lead to an overgrowth of bacteria or yeast or even an infection. Dietary imbalances, resulting in constipation or a deficiency of magnesium or zinc may be other causes. Some individuals cannot metabolize foods such as eggs, fish, liver and legumes. The result is a "fishy" smell.
Ayurveda consider the imbalance of Pitta as the chief cause of premature hair fall and graying. Dandruff is a Vata Kapha imbalanced disorder. Back to Roots Ayurveda Therapies:
- Siro Abhyanga : Oil massage on scalp
- Siro Dhara : Downy stream of medicated oil or butter milk on scalp
- Siro Vasthy : Oil retention in a Chef’s cap fitted on head
- Nasyam : Nasal drops
- Thalapothichil : Application of a herbal paste on scalp
Pathya (Favor): dark green vegetables and orange & yellow fruits & vegetables, cauliflower, parsley, wheat, sunflower seeds, apricots, whole grains, soy, green gram, eggs, seafood, curry leaves, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, celery, cucumber, green beans, bitter gourd, snake gourd, peas, apples, avocados, coconut, pomegranate, grapes, figs, mangoes, raisins, plums, coriander, fennel, turmeric, mint etc in your food.
Apathya (Reduce): Garlic, onion, radishes, sprouts, tomatoes, berries, sour cherries, apricots, mustard, pickles, salt, sour dressings, spicy condiments, vinegar, black gram, caffeine, curd.