These diseases that affect the brain or other components of the nervous system are among the most devastating and complex conditions plaguing the mankind today.
- Migraine: Ayurveda explains 2 conditions as Ardhavabhedaka (Unilateral headaches - due to Vata imbalance) & Suryavartha (varying degrees of pain according to the solar cycle – due to Vata Pitta imbalance) to describe the Migraine headaches. Favor bedtime milk, green gram, black gram with ghee.
- Sleep Disturbance / Lack: The causes of insomnia include stress, anxiety, depression, medications, aging, noise, light, extreme temperatures, late dinners etc. Pain, breathing difficulty, frequent urination also lead to sleep disorders. Avoid coffee, tea, cola drinks.
- Paralysis (Pakshaghata, Ardita): A stroke occur when the blood supply to part of your brain is interrupted, depriving brain of oxygen and food. Complications are - trouble with walking, speaking, understanding, paralysis, numbness, headache etc.
- Multiple Sclerosis: body's immune system eats away at the protective sheath (myelin) that covers your nerves. This may result in – numbness, weakness of limbs, vision difficulties, electric shock sensations, tremor, unsteady gait, slurred speech, fatigue, dizziness etc. Vata & Pitta balancing therapies gives good symptomatic response from our experience.
- Depression: is a medical illness that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. A number of herbal remedies and supplements have been used for depression.
- Parkinson’s disease (Kampa Vata, Akshepaka Vata): It develops gradually, sometimes starting with a barely noticeable tremor in one hand. In early stages of Parkinson's disease, your face may show little or no expression, or your arms may not swing when you walk.
- Diabetic Neuropathy: High blood sugar can injure nerve fibers throughout your body, but diabetic neuropathy most often damages nerves in your legs and feet. Depending on the affected nerves, symptoms of diabetic neuropathy can range from pain and numbness in your extremities to problems with your digestive system, urinary tract, blood vessels and heart.
Ayurveda consider the imbalance of Vata as chief cause of neurological problems and has well-researched therapies and medicines. Effective Ayurveda therapies are:
- Abhyangam – Oil massage
- Udvarthanam – Oil therapy preceded by rubbing with herbal powder
- Kizhi – Application of warm herbal compress
- Pizhichil – Drizzling of medicated oil from a particular height
- Siro dhara – Oil treatment on the head
- Siro vasthy – Retention of oil with the aid of a Chef’s cap fitted on head
- Nasyam – Nasal application of 3 – 10 drops per session
- Virechanam – Purgation or laxative therapy
- Vasthy – Enema therapy